Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Slangs, sayings, pharses and idioms

Don't you love when slangs, sayings, phrases and idioms get lost in translation?

English is my husband's (Luiz) third language.  I know I know.  I've tried learning Spanish, Italian, and now attempting Portuguese and I can't master any of them!  When we first met he spoke very very basic English.  So over the years he continues to learn our (American) slangs, sayings, phrases, and idioms.  This weekend's lesson was the idiom "cut the cheese"

We bought some fancy cheese at Costco and when we got home he asked if I would cut the cheese.

Me:  (Laughing) lifted leg and made a farting noise
Him: Blank stare
Me: Cut the cheese haha
Him: Blank stare
Me: Cutting the cheese means fart
Him: So if I ask someone at work "who cut the cheese" people would know what I mean?
Me: Yep
Him: (Smiles)

No comments:

Post a Comment